The Indiana Department of Environmental Management has released a recreational advisory after high levels of toxic blue-green algae were discovered in Indiana lakes.
The advisory cautions beach-goers about adverse health effects from coming into contact with contaminated water.
Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, has the potential to cause skin and eye irritation, nausea, stomach aches and tingling in the fingers and toes.
Because dogs and other small animals can easily ingest toxic doses of this algae, IDEM also warns against letting pets drink or swim in contaminated areas.
The Indiana State Health Department recommends preventing contact with visible algae during swimming and warns against swallowing lake water and consuming food that may have come into contact with algae.
IDEM recommends bathing in warm, soapy water after swimming in an affected area.
The advisory affects Indiana’s largest lake, Lake Monroe, as well as other locations across the state including Brookville Lake, Cecil M. Harden Lake, Hardy Lake, Kunkel Lake, Whitewater Lake and Worster Lake.
Further testing may determine more areas of contamination.